Frederick County Health Department's Tobacco Sales Compliance Initiative to Reduce Youth Access to Tobacco and Nicotine Products.
The NoNicoTeen Tobacco Sales Compliance Initiative was developed in response to the state of Maryland’s non-compliance with SYNAR regulations in the past years. SYNAR regulation requires that laws must be in place prohibiting the sale of tobacco products to minor and that those laws must be enforced. Annual unannounced inspections of tobacco retailers are conducted to ensure that no more than 20% of businesses are found distributing tobacco products to minors. Unfortunately in fiscal years 2014 and 2015 Maryland was not been compliant with these laws, with over 30% of merchants found selling tobacco products to youth.
The NoNicoTeen program addresses this issue through increased tobacco sales compliances checks, tobacco merchant education, and community outreach. To learn more about our efforts check out our program flier.
Preventing youth under 18 from buying tobacco/nicotine products is meant to protect your health from the dangers of tobacco use. Get The Facts about tobacco use so you can make an informed decision about using tobacco and nicotine products like cigarettes, cigars, smokeless, and e-cigarettes/vaporizers when you turn 18.
• Nearly 9 out of 10 cigarette smokers first started before the age of 18.
• Each day in the United States, more than 4,000 youth ages 18 or younger smoke their first cigarette, and 1,300 of them will become daily cigarette smokers.
• 1 out of 3 smokers began before the age of 14.
• 80% of Frederick County High School Students choose NOT to use tobacco products.
• Nicotine is as addictive as heroin, cocaine, and alcohol. People can become hooked after just a few cigarettes.
• Tobacco companies have been known to target youth as new smokers to replace the almost ½ a million people who die every year from using tobacco products.
• E-cigarettes are not a harmless alternative to cigarettes. They contain nicotine and other chemicals which are harmful to your health.
• Youth who have never smoked a cigarette but have tried an e-cigarette are twice as likely to try a traditional cigarette within the next year.
• 1 out of 3 smokers will eventually die from a tobacco related disease.
• It is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to be in possession of tobacco products.
Learn more about the risks of using tobacco products and e-cigarettes by checking out the following resources:
For Tobacco Merchants
Retailers are an important part of our communities, providing goods and services to residents of all ages. Licensed tobacco retailers are uniquely positioned to act responsibly and help reduce and eliminate underage access to tobacco products in Maryland.
Tobacco retailers are required by law to:
• Ask for photo ID for everyone under 27.
• Check to make sure everyone is at least 18 years old
• Refuse to sell tobacco and e-cigarettes products to everyone under 18.
Protect yourself and your business by being familiar with youth access laws, penalties for violating those laws and how you and your staff/co-workers can prevent sales to minors. Check out these great resources for more information:
• NoNicoTeen Tobacco Retailer Materials
o Print Materials
To request additional materials for your retail location call 301.600.1755.