Water Well Sampling

Well Sampling

  • Bacteriological and chemical testing of new wells for compliance with Certificate of Potability Standards
  • Bacteriological testing of existing wells
 Application for Evaluation of Individual Water Supply

How to Apply for a Certificate of Potability

Brand New Well

We will conduct bacteriological and chemical (Nitrate, Turbidity) testing for compliance with Certificate of Potability Standards.

There is no fee to have us do it. This is part of the well permit fee that you initially paid. The sanitarian will schedule an appointment with you to begin the process.
  • We will need to collect 2 bacteria, 2 E-coli, 1 nitrate, and 1 turbidity sample.
  • Both bacteria and both e-coli need to be negative in order to issue the Certificate of Potability.
  • If you use a private laboratory, we will need the original paperwork from the lab. It will take approximately 1 week to process the paperwork once we receive it from the private laboratory.

Existing Wells

  • We will mail you a water application.
  • We test for bacteria and E-coli, Nitrate and Turbidity.
  • We do not test for real estate transactions. You would need to seek a private lab, located in the yellow pages of your phone book under “water analysis."
  • Please check the Fee Schedule to find the fee that should be submitted to the Frederick County Health Department along with your application.
  • After the application and payment are received, a sanitarian will contact you to make an appointment. When the sanitarian arrives at your house, they will give you a form that needs to be sent to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene with a check for a fee for bacteriological testing. Please check with the sanitarian to determine those fee amounts.
  • It takes approximately 1 week to get the test results back and you will be notified of the results.