Pet Exposure

Pet Exposure

Under state regulations, all human and pet bites must be reported to Animal Control. If you or your pet has been bitten by a domesticated pet or a wild animal, please contact Animal Control. 

  • During regular business hours (Mon-Fri, 8-11): call 301-600-1544
  • After hours, weekends, and holidays: call 301-600-1603

If your pet is bitten or attacked by a wild animal that is still present onsite, contact Animal Control to report the bite and pick up the animal. If your pet is bitten or attacked by an animal that is unable to be collected, contact Animal Control to report the bite. 

Contact the Health Department at 301-600-1717 for advice on further actions. 

Rabies Test Results

  • Any potentially rabid animal that has been in contact with a human or pet will be collected by Animal Control and submitted to the Rabies State Testing Lab.
    Note: Domesticated animals will be put under a 10-day observation quarantine and will not be submitted for testing.
  • Once the Health Department receives the positive or negative test results from the State Lab, the bite victim and the pet owner (if applicable) will be contacted with these results.
  • If the biting animal tests negative for rabies and your pet is vaccinated, no further action is needed.
  • If the biting animal tests negative for rabies and your pet is not currently vaccinated, it must be vaccinated.
  • If the biting animal tests positive for rabies, each case will be individually evaluated to determine what actions are needed; general guidelines, however, are as follows:
    • If your pet has a current or lapsed rabies vaccination, it will need a booster shot and will undergo a 45-day quarantine. This means your pet must have limited exposure to members outside your immediate family and must be kept in a private yard or restrained on a leash if in public. Note: Proof of rabies vaccination must be submitted.
    • If your pet is not vaccinated, it will need to get a rabies vaccination shot immediately and undergo a 4-month double barrier quarantine that is overseen by the Health Department and Animal Control.
    • If your pet is required to have shots, proof of the shots must be submitted to the Health Department by mail, in person, or by fax at 301-600-3180.

Additional Information