Temporary Special Food Service Facilities Permits


Permit application processing within Environmental Health Services will end at 4:30 p.m. This includes, but is not limited to burning permits, temporary food permits, pool operator permits, well and septic permits, etc.  Permit applications can be applied for between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.  

In order to ensure a thorough food safety review of each application, same day permit processing is not available. 

Temporary Special Food Service Facilities

A temporary special food service facility is a facility operating for a temporary period of time in conjunction with a fair, carnival, recreational facility or other public event. Public event means a planned gathering that is open to the public which is advertised with fliers, newspaper ads, banners, or internet websites as being open to the general public regardless of whether a fee is charged or not. The facility does not operate for more than 30 days at a fixed location.

A temporary food service facility permit is required to provide food service to the public. Examples of events that require a permit are:

  • Fundraising dinners
  • Outdoor carnivals and fairs
  • Restaurants serving preparing/serving food at an event at an off-site location
  • Refreshments or concessions served at sporting events open to the general public
  • School festivals

An application to be a temporary special food service facility must be completed and submitted prior to each public event.

Apply for the permit a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the event using any of the following methods:

     • Email

     • Fax - (301) 600-3180 

     • Hand Deliver or Drop Off - A black lock box is available to the right of entrance A (Flagpoles) for after hours 

     • Mail (Allow 3-4 weeks minimum)

Environmental Health Services Office
Food Control
350 Montevue Lane
Frederick, MD 21702

Upon receipt, a Licensed Environmental Health Specialist will review the application, contact the applicant to discuss the application and requirements, and if approved, process the permit. 

Once approved, the permit will be provided to the applicant electronically.  Permits must then be printed out and posted during food service at the event. 

     • Temporary Event Brochure

No Permit Required

Groups offering only non-potentially hazardous commercially prepackaged foods such as:

  • Bottled Water
  • Candy
  • Canned Sodas
  • Chips

As long as these foods are not being opened, poured or portioned on-site.

Bake sales held for fundraising by nonprofit groups must follow bake sale guidelines:

Note: Non-potentially hazardous foods are those foods which do not require temperature control, such as refrigeration.

All food service vendors operating in Frederick County must be in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations to include Frederick County Office of the Fire Marshall.  Office of the Fire Marshal