Board of Health
Maryland law establishes a Board of Health in each county. The local Board may adopt and enforce rules and regulations on any nuisance or cause of disease in the county as long as these are not contrary to and are at least as stringent as existing State laws, rules and regulations. The membership of the Board of Health consists of the seven County Council members and the County Executive. The County Health Officer is the executive officer and secretary of the Board of Health. The Board of Health follows these Rules of Procedure.
The next Board of Health meeting is scheduled for:
- May, 2024, date to be determined.
Board of Health’s meetings can be listened to by phone while the meeting is occurring by calling 855-925-2801 and entering meeting code 8751.
Past meetings can be viewed in the video archives under "Other Boards and Commissions".
Email email@example.com or text (301) 900-5811 for assistance.
New legislation from the County Council establishes a new liaison role for the Board of Health (see April 18, 2023 County Council meeting at 56 minutes). On August 24, 2023, the following liaisons were approved:
- Chamber of Commerce member – Dr. Diana P. Castiblanco
- Epidemiologist – Dr. René F. Najera
- Mental health professional - Dr. Alison Bomba
- Nurse – Dr. Jennifer Cooper
- Science related background – Dr. Sheila Johnson
- Veterinarian – Dr. Michael E Schaden
Liaisons will serve for varying periods of time initially based on the number of applications received for each category. Terms will be from July 1 through June 30. After this first set of terms, all terms will be for 3 years.
- Nurse and persons with a science background: 1-year term
- Mental health professional and Chamber of Commerce member: 2-year term
- Veterinarian and epidemiologist: 3-year term